Finn Harps 1966 By Bartley Ramsay

In the Donegal Democrat 7 January Harps drew 2-2 with St Patricks, Killea in Finn Park. This was described as a Donegal League match.  “It was a hard but cleanly fought game, which referee O’Donnell (Killea) found no difficulty in controlling because of the good sporting spirit that prevailed.”

Sean Quinn opened the scoring for the home side with a header.  His goal was equalised by Richie Kelly with a left-footed shot prior to half-time.  Thomas Gallagher, Harps centre-forward put them ahead again, before J. Gillespie even the scores up again in the final quarter of the game. Killea had B. Toland in goals, I am presuming it was Bobby Toland and Richie Kelly who scored Killea’s first goal later became the only player to score in junior, intermediate and senior football for Finn Harps.

Finn Harps team was B. Roulston, Noel McNulty, P. McGonagle, Fergus McNulty, P. J. McHugh, Charlie Quinn, J. Murray, Malachy McNulty, Thomas Gallagher, Kenneth McNulty and Sean Quinn.

The match report ended with “The return game at Killea will be a very important one for Finn Harps. A win or a draw will leave them through to the final, but a defeat will mean a three-way play off between Fahan, Killea and Finn Harps.”

11 February, Donegal Democrat reported that Finn Harps and Fahan had recently played a scoreless draw in the Dongal Association Football League.

It also went on to record “In a league game between Killea and Finn Harps, Killea ran out winners 6-3. The score was level (2-2) at half-time.   Scorers for Killea were B. Toland (4), R. Kelly (2). Charlie Quinn (2) and P. J. McHugh got the Harps scorers. Referee was Mel Thompson.

August 5 Harps reached the final of St Catherines (Killybegs) 7-a-side tournament.   Harps defeated Fern United by four goals to nil in the first round.  In the semi-finals Harps defeated St Catherine’s to reach the final.  In the Final Harps faced Midland Rovers from Arranmore Island.   It was described as a very exciting affair and resulted in a win for Midland Rovers by two goals to nil.

September 2 Donegal Democrat informed us that in the final of the Castlederg Association Football K.O. Cup Finn Harps were beaten by two goals to nil by Oxford United from Derry.

September 16 Finn Harps were playing in the Derry & District League. In the D& D McKinney Cup competition Harps defeated Tonnage Dockers from Derry by five goals to one in Finn Park. J. Barr scored the first before the Derry side equalised.    Barr got the goal that regained the lead, and he then added another for his hat-trick.   Danny McNulty and Fergus McNulty added two more to end the scoring.

Harps had qualifed to play Carndonagh in the quarter-final of the competition.

Harps team was Patsy McGowan, Mickey McMenamin, Noel McNulty, George Hunter, P. J. MHugh, Fergus McNulty, Kenneth McNulty, J. Barr, Danny McNulty, Charlie Duffy and Charlie Quinn.

30 December. Donegal Democrat reported how Finn Harps had qualified for the Donegal FAI Junior Cup Final against Swilly Rovers.   Harps defeated Fern United by two goals to one after the game was scoreless in the first half.  Harps took the lead when McCallion scored from a Barr corner.    Seven minutes later Jackson crossed for Barr to haed home.   Fern got their consolation goal with two minutes left after McMenamin handled. M. McDaid scored from the penalty.  Best for Harps were G. Hunter, C. Quinn, B. Jackson, M. McDaid.  N. Cullen and H. Duggan were best for Fern.